TLC is an exciting recreation based program for high functioning youth with Special Needs (primarily developmental delays). Within this variety recreation program, the participants have the opportunity to further develop and build upon their life skills and interests in an environment that encourages socialization.
The program focuses on maximizing individual strengths in a positive and supportive environment.
• Works jointly with another staff person to provide safe activities, leadership & supervision for youth (13-18yrs) in a variety recreation setting.
• Organizes, leads and supervises activities and outings.
• Encourages positive behavior through teaching, encouragement, modeling/mentoring and natural/logical consequence methods.
• Maintains proactive and responsive communication with parents, youth, co-workers and volunteers.
• Responds effectively to emergencies, first aid needs and unusual incidents, combined with appropriate documentation and follow up.
• Maintains designated program storage space and cleans up after program room use.
• Assists with reports and administrative needs of the TLC program.
• Other related duties as assigned.
• A certificate or diploma related to special needs and/or youth, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Previous experience working effectively with youth with special needs in a group setting.
• Demonstrated effective organizational, supervisory, inter-personal and communications skills.
• Diverse knowledge of suitable activities and outings.
• Understands effective approaches and strategies to assist and support the participants.
• Demonstrated ability to deal with emergencies, unusual incidents and behavior challenges.
• Ability to work effectively as a positive team member.
• Demonstrates high levels of initiative and prudent judgement.
• Current emergency first aid & CPR certification required.
• Current Food Safe certification
Required conditions for consideration
• Subject to successful clearance of police record check including vulnerable sectors search.
• Must be eligible to work in Canada.
Terms/Conditions of Employment
• $22.25 per hour, including stat holiday pay when applicable. Hours per week may vary depending on program needs.
• One-to-One Worker is needed on Thursdays with additional hours available during school closures.
Program hours are Monday-Friday, 3:00pm-6:00pm
Pro D days & Spring Break, Summer 7 hrs/day.
Please indicate which position you are applying for and send your resume and cover letter to:
Katie Meredith, Community Youth Worker
(EMAIL Subject line: TLC Program Leader or One-to-One Worker Application)
Kitsilano Community Centre, 2690 Larch Street, Vancouver, B.C. V6K 4K9