• We live in the White Rock/South Surrey area, and would like to find another young male to spend time with our ASD son doing activities typical for this age group.
• Our son, Alex, spends most of his time on the computer, but it would be great to introduce him to other activities such as board games, Xbox, limited sports activities, and just hanging out hanging fun. Essentially, being a buddy.
• We would like to start out with a couple of mornings per week, but will happily expand the hours as it becomes appropriate.
• Community outings would be great once mutual trust (and understanding) has been established.
• Goals for the future would include job training/coaching and also some life skills training.
Who is Alex?
• Alex is verbal, but not very conversational.
• He is 25 years old, but is more like 9 in many ways.
• He spends his day on the computer and watching TV.
• He has a strong desire for socialization, but not much experience with it.
Responsibilities and Duties
• Spending social time with Alex doing typical activities for a young man.
• He will need some training depending on the agreed-upon activities, e.g. learning how to play Xbox.
• When the weather permits, we would like to incorporate some outdoor, sports-like activities. An example would be playing frisbee, or shooting baskets.
• Community outings would be desirable, once a trusting relationship has been established. Alex likes going to many of the local retail stores and has a list of around 40 different community locations that he frequents.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Ideally, we would like to find someone who has support worker training, along with ASD experience.
• That said, one or the other would be an acceptable minimum requirement.
• You will need a reliable vehicle.
• Since we will be partially funding this position with CLBC funds, we will need a clean driver’s abstract, and a criminal record check.
Salary and Benefits
The position pays $28/hour, along with mileage reimbursement for community outings.
This position starts out with a couple of mornings per week, but can easily expand into much more.
If you’re interested please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.