Seeking a (preferably male) support worker for a fun and engaging 18-year-old young man for in-home respite and life skills instruction. Shifts are 7 hours/day beginning in the morning.
His preferred activities include videogames, watching and talking about YouTube videos, dancing, arts & crafts and doing funny voices. The goal of these sessions is for him to engage in educational learning, life skills instruction and spend some time having fun and building a friendship with someone. There is a possibility of community outings after a trial period.
Ideal applicants will have a clean driving record and criminal record check. Please email Shaima at firstname.lastname@example.org Hourly wage commensurate with experience.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Supporting the individual during 1-hour academic lessons daily
o Co-regulating with the individual to ensure they are focused and engaged during lessons
o Three lessons are led online by a certified BC teacher and the two others are outlined and prepped by the teacher but guided by the support worker
▪ Familiarity and comfort with online learning and navigating various online tools an asset as many online tools are used
▪ Ability to operate Zoom necessary
▪ Must have strong English language skills in reading and writing
• Assisting the individual with meal prep
o Must be able and willing to prep meals
o Must be willing and able to do light cleaning to the area being used (e.g., wiping surfaces, tidying, loading or unloading the dishwasher, sweeping on vacuuming if floor is soiled from activities)
• Ability to naturally embed learning opportunities into daily life activities (e.g., model, prompt, reinforcement built into activities)
• Supporting individual with personal care activities by prompting/modeling
o Showering, teeth brushing, dressing etc.
• Support individual with tidying their room
• Must be comfortable supporting individuals with complex needs
o CPI, Mandt, NVCI or other de-escalation training an asset
o Ability to follow Safety Plan and other protocols laid out by the family
• Spending time with the individual doing preferred activities and supporting individual through co-regulation throughout