I am a young women in my 3rd year of university and am actively engaged in my community. I have an intellectual disability and I am looking for a staff person who is interested in supporting me to continue and grow my community participation and connections in my areas of interest. I enjoy music, running, biking, giving to causes I believe in, making new friends and spending time with my current friends.
The successful candidate for this position will demonstrate an understanding of the importance of belonging for people with intellectual disabilities. They will show a commitment to support me in creating a lifestyle that reflects my own vision and my desire to participate and engage with others who share similar interest.
Prior experience and knowledge working in areas of community building and/or engagement would be an asset, but not a necessity. Community mindedness, creativity and good listening skills are qualifications that would be an asset to this position. Prior knowledge or experience with adults with developmental disabilities is not essential.
– meet with me to plan out and make sure we are on track with my goals.
– research community events and activities, I would like to engage in.
– support me to attend events and activities independently and develop authentic relationships.
– support my decisions by brainstorming ways to overcome barriers to the places and activities I would like to become engaged with
– under my direction liaise with family and others in my network
The successful applicant must be motivated to create inclusive communities, show initiative, be creative, flexible, and accountable.
This is part-time position that is 10 hours a week. Mostly weekdays with the occasional weekend.
Tell me about yourself! Write a brief cover letter telling me why we will be a good fit and how you would support me to reach my goals. Some things you could include are “why you are”:
1) interested in this position
2) any involvement you have with community engagement, either personally or professionally
3) tell me about any personal or professional experience you have with people who have been marginalized because of a disability, economic, or other reasons
E-mail your cover letter and resume to email@example.com
“Criminal Records check is required”
I thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.